UNS Energy Corporation Substation Engineer II in Tucson, Arizona
UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort, convenience and security to our customers every day. We’re evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be rewarding. Our team of dedicated professionals values engagement, enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Substation Engineer. The successful candidate will create engineering designs, construction drawing packages for new and existing substation related projects, and related specifications for projects in the assigned engineering group. Performs engineering studies, design calculations and evaluates alternative designs or processes related to substation and other facilities and substation standards. Specifies material and equipment required for assigned projects and assists in the evaluation of suppliers and products. Acts as a project engineer/manager for assigned projects.
Develops designs and evaluates possible alternatives to meet both major and minor substation project requirements. Assigned projects may be at voltage levels ranging from 4kV up to 500kV. The primary design responsibilities encompass physical layout of the substations and associated equipment and facilities, major equipment and overall material specification and ordering, equipment factory acceptance, substation design and calculations for power equipment and facilities, wiring and cable design, commissioning checkout creation, and functional checkout. Works closely with the project manager on overall project management from inception to energizing.
Develops detailed design specifications appropriate for the use in compiling material lists, procurement activities for equipment, materials and service required for project completion.
NERC Facility rating tracking.
Works closely on all projects with engineers from the Protection, Communications, Automation and Metering (PCAM) Engineering section who develop all protection, control schematic drawings and do all communication and automation equipment related design.
Works closely with Civil, Transmission and Structural Engineers to determine physical locations of equipment and proper sizing of structures and site design and grading.
Evaluates, from an engineering standpoint, vendors, manufacturers, equipment and/or components available to meet project specifications and in conjunction with the Materials Procurement Department recommends awards that optimize cost and reliability.
Provides budgetary estimates of projects for departmental or interdepartmental incorporation into the Capital Budget.
Develops and monitors work progress on project schedules to assure proper coordination of events during the design, construction, testing and energizing phases of a project.
Initiates job tasks (work orders) and tracks expenditures as may be required to complete Capital Budget project assignments.
Leads formal and informal meetings concerning assigned projects and is able to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel both in the office and field crews.
Assists with departmental and interdepartmental training to assure proper installation, operation and/or maintenance of substation equipment when requested.
Assigns, directs and reviews the work of assigned engineers and/or other employees associated with an assignment. Consults on problems of a technical nature encountered during various work assignments.
Reports to the section Engineering Supervisor or Superintendent and performs other assignments as requested.
This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
(Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered)
- Will have primary responsibility for small to medium sized projects and will assist more experienced engineers in large projects. May require close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
- Act as the project engineer for assigned projects.
- Create standards and process or procedures as needed or requested.
- May be assigned to perform technical studies as needed.
- May have several projects assigned at the same time.
- Works well with personnel from Construction, Field Technicians, Procurement, Project Management, and Engineers from various disciplines.
*Minimum Qualifications: *
- B.S. degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in power or mechanical equipment related classes with two (2) or more year’s professional experience in an Electrical or Mechanical engineering role.
- Acts as the technical project lead for assigned projects
- Ability to estimate cost of various types of construction and installation.
- Creation of bill of material for project procurement requirements.
- Manufacture drawing review and approval.
- Perform lightening protection studies and develop design requirements.
- Physical equipment layouts and elevation drawings.
- Checkout and commissioning procedure creation and execution.
- Cable schedule creation and conductor sizing.
- Wiring diagram creation.
- Provide grounding studies for ground grid design and other requirements.
- Bus sizing and design.
- Develop specifications for construction of various substation projects.
- Work with more experienced Engineers to provide forensic review of failed equipment or asset health from testing results.
- On call duty to respond to outage events and provide forensic and technical expertise to rectify and re-engineer the issue for a solution.
- Shall have strong analytical capabilities and requires close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
Company: Tucson Electric Power
Location: Tucson, AZ
Job Category: Engineering
Position Type: Unclassified